Here we will cover things that will keep you safe while out and about, at work, or at the house. We will cover many different things to help keep us safe.
There are a few things we need to do or not do while driving to stay safe. While drinking is a absolute no no as well as against the law. We also don't want to be texting while driving either. When you are coming to a stop at a red light or stop sign make sure you can see the ground right behind the rear tires of the car in front of you. This will give you enough room to go around them if someone starts attacking or trying to carjack you, keep doors locked so they can't just open the door. When pulling into a parking spot, back in or at least pull through (I've know some have a very hard time backing so be safe about it) to the next spot so if something happens you can make a fast escape without having to back out.
Walking up to car:
Have your key in your hand. If you carry a weapon for defense carry it in your weak hand so you can access your weapon quickly. If you don't carry a defense weapon carry it in your dominant hand and you can use it as a weapon. Look under car while approaching it, look in the back and front seats and floorboards before getting in. When getting gas keep car locked especially if you walk away.
Sitting in House:
When sitting in your house especially at night keep your door and curtains closed. If you have your lights on and it's dark outside people can see you but you can't see them and they will know where you are and what you're doing and will give them a precise opportunity to attack. Have a plan to escape and a plan to fight. Know where your defense tools are so you can access them quickly. Have a plan and play it out with your family.
Keep your awareness high in a store. Don't turn your back on your kids nor your belongings if you set them in a cart. Don't let anybody distract you. If you see someone walking by you more than once and especially if they're watching you make a plan. Don't let people see how much money you have when checking out.
Even while on your property keep your awareness high. Make sure to know your surroundings, don't get so tied up with your yard work that someone can come up and attack you without you knowing about it. Again, have a plan just in case.
Other things you need to do:
- Know where all of your family is at all times.
- Set a security password up with your kids so that if you have an emergency and have to have someone pick them up they will know it's good.
- Don't set patterns, mix your routines up.
- Have a safety plan with your family.
- Don't let strangers in your house.
- Don't get in a strangers car.
- Stay in well lit areas.
- Don't pick up hitchhikers.
- Teach kids to stay away from strangers and not to give out information over the phone to nobody but close family members.
- If you are blue lighted you can call 911 to make sure it is an actual police officer pulling you over. Let them know location and type of vehicle you drive.